Tuesday, June 30, 2009

SCGS Jamboree 2009 - A Weekend of Fun! (Part 2)

Saturday was a very eventful day....

It started out with Gini and her husband picking me up bright and early so we could get to the conference for the early morning lectures. I spent the early morning socializing with the other geneabloggers and checking my email using my laptop and the free wifi in the hotel.

At 9:30 A.M., the Summit 2: Son of a Blogger began. There were some great people up on panel: Lisa Louise Cooke, George G. Morgan (who was the moderator), DearMyrtle, Leland Meitzler, Dick Eastman, Steve Danko, Schelly Talalay Dardashti, Craig Manson, and The Ancestry Insider (who was wearing a blue mask around his nose and mouth because he had a cold....convient excuse!). Needless to say, the panel was definitely full of experts and they offered some great advice and information.

During the Summit, I tried to post things on Twitter....but to be honest, I couldn't tweet and listen at the same time. Besides, Randy Seaver was seemed to have the twittering down!



Then came an amazing point of the day: I met my long time blogging idol (I have been reading her stuff since I was 13 and she was on AOL) - DearMyrtle. It was such an honor to meet her and she was so kind and sweet! (Here's a secret: I wish she was my Grandma!)

After lunch came two of my favorite lectures at the Jamboree. Both of these classes were packed - and for good reason too! I learned so much in there!
  • The Winter of our Discontent: 3 Months to Better Organization by DearMyrtle
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective Genealogists by DearMyrtle

Since I had gotten a free copy of RootsMagic 4 in my geneabloggers goodie bag (Thanks Thomas and Denise for putting those bags together! They were stocked with goodies galore!), I decided to stop by one of the classes put on about RootsMagic. I learned quite a bit and while I haven't decided if this is the absolute best genealogy program, I do like it so far.

Since we had some time between the lectures and the Geneablogger dinner, I decided to take a break, wander around the exhibit hall, and socialize. It was nice to have a moment to breathe and take in the fun day.

Then came dinner: FUN, FUN, FUN! I sat at a table next to Gini and her husband, Amy Coffin...and wait: across the table was Lisa Louise Cooke. I have to admit, I got a bit starry eyed when she sat down. It was a pleasure to meet her - and even more of a pleasure to find out how down to earth she was. She was bubbly, fun, and energetic. She was incredibly easy to talk to and it was almost as if we had known eachother forever!

It seemed as if for the first 20-30 minutes, everyone was just taking pictures and socializing:





The dinner was so much fun!!!! I had a blast! At the end of the dinner I went to my Aunt Caroline's house and knocked out! All-in-all, an eventful, fun, educational day!

3 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Thanks for sharing, Elyse! I've so enjoyed all the GBers twitters, photos, and posts that have allowed the rest of us who weren't able to attend Jamboree feel like we were right there with you! :-)

Lisa Louise Cooke said...

Hi "Mama Mia girl!" After spotting you around the exhibit hall I was glad the genea-blogger dinner brought us together at the same table. I really enjoyed getting to chat with you!

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

You're so funny. I felt the same way at the Geneablogger dinner.