Friday, August 8, 2008

What is a genealogist?

My little cousin noticed my filing cabinet with all the pictures and documents neatly stored. She started asking me why I have it and what I use it for.



But as I tried to explain the word "Genealogist" she got confused and didn't seem to understand what I meant. So after some brainstorming, we went over what a family tree is, the pictures of our family tree, and what a genealogist is. So here are the things we came up with.



- A Genealogist is like a detective. They search for clues in order to solve the mystery of our family tree.

- A Genealogist is a person who travels into history to get the story about their family.

- A Genealogist loves photos because they give the story of the family tree in pictures

- A Genealogists' work is never done because a family tree is never done.


Even though my little cousin is only 6, I am already recruiting her for genealogy. I am so excited - hopefully she can be the person I pass all my work to once I can't do research anymore.


Okay...this cold is really getting rather ridiculous. I want to stay up and research and get started on those games but I have this stupid cold and I can't stay awake for long. My head just might explode....

Hopefully I'll be feeling better tommorrow and I'll be back on track with those games.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

It is always good to recruit a little cousin! My "little cousin" is about your age now. I recruited her a couple of years ago and she has been a big help at times. Her mom and my mom are sisters. When I was helping her with her paternal grandmother's side of the family, we found that her great-grandfather and his first wife actually lived next door to our great-grandmother and her parents on our maternal grandfather's side in the 1910 census. This was an awesome find because I would have never been able to find our great-grandmother's family due to a gross misspelling of the last name. I had been looking for years. Just proves two heads are better than one! I'm also in the process of recruiting my fiance's niece, who is 17.