Sunday, July 20, 2008

Creating a Family Newsletter

Hi everyone,
So after some long thinking over many weeks, I've decided to finally face my fear and attempt to create a family newsletter that can be mailed out for all my family to see.
I've kinda tried to do something similiar before except I had it all on the internet. Needless to say, it did not go well because many of my family members are not computer literate. So after no one reading it for months, I finally gave up.

So now, I figure that I will create one that I can mail it out. That way, everyone can see it.

As a genealogist who is so incredibly interested in everything genealogy, it is typical for me to forget that not everyone else is the same. Not everyone else feels a rush when they find that census record that they have been looking so hard for. Not everyone feels on top of the world when they find a maiden name of an ancestor. I understand that.

But at the same time, with my family scattered all over the country, I would like us to all keep in some contact somehow.

What better way to keep contact than to have something that connects us all - like our history?

However, I don't really know much about creating a newsletter like this. So I started searching through old mailing lists and message boards and it seems to be a rather big thing. I had no idea that some people write 8 page newsletters, front and back. I cannot even imagine that!

I have a few ideas that I am considering and trying out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy Hunting!
Elyse

0 comments: